Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Marmoleum Click Flooring

I've been debating with myself for months the issue of the kitchen floor. In my last house, I installed natural slate, and honestly, it was a pain in the neck not only to install but to maintain. It was messy and just a little grim for a kitchen.

Lo and behold, the kitchen in the Hawthorne house has laminate flooring designed to look like slate. I hate it, but I'm not going to post a picture of it because it photographs surprisingly well. Several people, when browsing before pictures on my camera, have said, "I see you've already put in another slate floor." Ug. Plus, I have a built-in bias against laminate flooring.

Actually, the bias is against something designed to look like something else. It always ends up worse. If something is meant to look like wood, just suck it up and use wood. Laminate flooring is like a toupee; it's fooling no one. Saying, "That laminate flooring looks great!" is like saying, "Your toupee looks great!" You know you don't mean it.

After waffling for weeks, I finally pulled the trigger on Marmoleum Click. It's an all-natural product similar to Linoleum. The click part equals easy installation (or so they promise). Let's see. I ordered it fairly sight-unseen on clearance. Here's a link to a picture of what the brown looks like. I went with blue.

http://www.greenbuilderssource.com/sc_images/products/408_image.gif

2 comments:

Piera said...

Good luck with your Marmoleum click floor. I have had mine for about 4 years in my kitchen and love it. To be up front, I worked for Forbo for about 20years but now am in another industry and still love my Marmoleum!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see how it looks.