Monday, August 27, 2007

Finally some color



Ray and his painting partner have been scraping the siding for 10 days now. They finally got the priming done over the weekend. One of them started putting a little color on the siding (probably just to get me to shut up), and the other started work on the trim. I insisted on gloss trim and satin for the siding, even though they both wanted to tone it down a notch. In one of these pictures, you can see a few of the various colors I've tried out this summer.

I ended up with probably the most boring choice other than yet another coat of white, but in the end, it is all I felt comfortable with. The dark chocolate highlight color and haint blue porch ceilings will counteract some of the hum-drum-ness of the body color. I think its going to look terrific.


6 comments:

AnnieB said...

Hi!~ It does look great!!~ I just bought a 1920's bungalow, and am looking for a "Haint" Blue for my porch ceiling...something fairly soft, hopefully ~ don't think I can quite go a vivid "Gullah" blue I saw in an article in this month's Southern Living...;o)...how did you come up with yours?
Keep up the good work!
Anne

AnnieB said...

Ah, I should have read further!....yes, that was one of the sites I'd found, too...did you just look at blue-greens, then, 'til you found one you liked?~:o)
Anne

Richard Williams said...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure there's much consensus on what is true haint blue. I brought home a few swatches, then got a sample of one I liked. Around here, it was important for it not to be mistaken for Carolina blue, so I went with a tone that was a little more saturated than I might otherwise have chosen.

AnnieB said...

Yes, I saw on another site where someone said it was just a "shade darker than Carolina Blue" ~ I'm in Southeast Missouri (100 miles north of Graceland~:o)~though my family was originally from Stokes and Forsyth Counties) so I don't have to worry about that; guess I'll come up with something, then I'll be the "resident expert" here...:o)~
You should post a photo of your ceiling!~
Anne

AnnieB said...

Yes, I saw on another site where someone said it was just a "shade darker than Carolina Blue" ~ I'm in Southeast Missouri (100 miles north of Graceland~:o)~though my family was originally from Stokes and Forsyth Counties) so I don't have to worry about that; guess I'll come up with something, then I'll be the "resident expert" here...:o)~
You should post a photo of your ceiling!
Anne

AnnieB said...

Sorry for the double-post; couldn't get it to go the first time~