It may not seem like much, but it was a pain in the ass. First, as background, there wasn't a single light fixture in this house that I liked when I bought it. I love the black push-button light switches (see photo), but not a single one of the fixtures was right. All I've done for the switches is to put on clean new white switch covers. Anyhow, I took down the terrible black track lighting in the living room and put up these metallic cones instead. They seem more in line with the swinging vibe of the place.
I also removed the existing vinyl conduit and replaced it with 1/2" steel conduit that I spray painted with chrome. It was more difficult than I imagined to rig the whole thing, and when working with electricity, I always feel as if I'm about to die. Seriously, as I'm working, I'm imagining my funeral. Anyhow, it was worth the effort. More about the lighting later.