Sunday, December 10, 2006

I should have paid more attention in geometry


I should have paid more attention in geometry... and shop... damn I wish I had paid more attention in shop class. And to Mr. Austin, my shop teacher for two years who had all of his fingers (I checked), I apologize for any disrespectful thought, word, or deed ever directed toward you by me or any other student. In the past week I've watched these craftsmen come in oversee this entropic thing that's happening in my house. Disorder is created from the ho-hum existing nook or wall, and order is created. I could never do what these guys do.
That being said, I tiled the existing bathroom this morning. It is a busier pattern than I had anticipated, but it looks appropriate to the era of the house. The lines are not perfect, but they're not as bad as the optical illusion created by the angle of the picture above would indicate. All you have to do is scroll down and look at the demoed bathroom floor pictures to forgive any wobbles in what will be my grout lines.
Now that I've seen the slightly-too-crazy floor, I've decided to use white tiles exclusively in the tub enclosure instead of going with the planned black border. Also, I'm going to do a tall beadboard wainscoating in this bath instead of running the subway tiles all of the way throughout.

2 comments:

BMT said...

Are those the Guocera tiles? We used them in our bath, in the blue colorway on the walls/shower enclosure and in the black colorway on the floor. If you use a white grout, any mild deviations just ... disappear, visually.

Also, where we got the tile didn't have black square tiles (I wanted to use them to make a "rug" on the floor), but we did use the blue 2" squares to do the border around our shower and at the top of the tile below the bullnose edging. It looks fine, and wasn't any harder than adding any other edging.

Richard Williams said...

Thanks. The guy who taught me how to tile used to say, "Grout erases alot of sins." The tiles are off-the-rack tiles from Home Depot. They were only $2.50 a square foot, and they were really similar to the $7.50 a square foot tiles I really wanted. Good enough though.